Wednesday, July 06, 2005

 

Growing my family tree

Well I have been sort of interested in expanding and exploring my family tree for a while. My father’s side is done (to the 1100’s as well as to Napoleon Bonaparte, and nobility of some sort, who knows maybe I’ll either prove or disprove that which I would love to do either way), I just have to track down a copy and add it. I have done a little bit on my father’s side today and have gotten it to my 2nd great grandparents (5 generations). My mother’s side it appears I will have to do the digging as no one so far has much information on them that I can find. That’s okay because I spent some time yesterday getting some help on how to get started and pointed in the right direction.

I am relatively new to this whole genealogy thing, and while I am great once I have research, I have never been very well at doing it. A skill I am about to greatly improve upon.

It amazes me how many people do this, and I have to wonder why actually I’m doing it. I have no idea what the fascination with blood lines is all about, but as many people have been pointing out to me, I need a hobby and well this will be a very time consuming, productive, and interesting one. It also doesn’t take up too much room in my house such as building models or woodworking would.

The amount of information that is out there on the net is somewhat scary when you think of it. I got all sorts of information on relatives without asking them because I knew very basic information about them.

I think that this is going to be very interesting and keep me busy, and to top it off I’ll connect with family members I hardly ever see, or talk to, and build relations with ones that I’m just lassie faire with (which is pretty much all of them).

I really have no idea where this will all lead, or if I will burn out. I doubt that one since I have had a secret interest in it for years, and now that I’m going public with it I have been getting nothing but support from those I have told so far.

Tonight my mother is going to help me, and even take some of the stuff to some relatives she will be seeing over the next few weeks.

I do know that my surname has its roots in Bourgogne, France (where it apparently originates) where it is said that we are a celebrated family (whatever that means). I also have the family crest and coat of arms. Once I can get a copy of those in a format I can put on my diary I will.

I finally know what I want for my birthday and this time it is attainable and more realistic than a 1,600 $ picture frame. A Surname History and Coat of Arms Framed with my surname that I can display in my front entrance way. It is really gorgeous looking, and will remind me of my ancestry. Although I may put it in a more “readable” place in the house for people to stare at and ponder.

If anyone out there has any ideas, tips, or helpful information on doing genealogy research I would love it if you would leave me a note.

Comments:
Welcome to the cult, Axalotal.

You're on the right track: start with your immediate family, and work your way back. Try to verify every "fact" that is given to you, and keep everything organized.

If you're willing to do the legwork, the best place to find information on your family is at your local Family History Center (according to the LDS website there's one at 632 Thornton Road North in Oshawa). Figure out where your ancestors were from, then order microfilmed civil or church records from those places (they cost just a few dollars to rent, and can be viewed at the center). The Library Catalog is online, and a quick check just for Bourgogne records yields a ton of available records.

You should also be familiar with the popular genealogy forums, like those at Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com. Nine out of ten genealogists are willing to help (the tenth doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, so ignore him).

Good luck.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?