Sunday, June 19, 2005

 

I don’t understand why someone would want materialistic things.

This doesn’t mean that I don’t understand money. I know that money is exchanged for goods or services which now a days some of which keep you alive (since picking your vegetables no longer requires you going to your own field or getting a chicken doesn’t involve chasing a headless chicken around your compound for an hour before plucking it)

I just don’t understand why someone needs a 5 million dollar mansion, or drive a 5 hundred thousand dollar car.

Why is it that we feel good by surrounding ourselves with over priced crap that we don’t need, when that money could go to much better use?

Yes I like nice things, I like expensive things, I love to go to thrift shops, and dumpster dive. Some of my nicest things have actually been free.

It amazes me what people throw out because of a broken wheel. I’ll give you an example right now.



That chair costs 50 $ at Staples, and it was in great shape with only a few dirty spots from where it had been sitting outside for a few hours. The only thing wrong with it was one broken wheel which I can fix for a few dollars, or just take all the wheels off. Given it is going in the kitchen the later may be the best idea.

Steph didn’t want to go and pick it up because she was shy and didn’t want people to think less of her because she was pilfering someone else’s trash.

After wining and throwing a small temper tantrum she went and got it. Said she got it for me until I pointed out that she now has a new chair for her desk. It turns out that Gizmo now has a new lounging area and has covered it in cat hair in no time.

Steph would have gone out and bough a chair and ended up wasting money she didn’t need to. Something I’m trying to get her to stop doing simply because there is no need to buy everything new.

Not even sure what the point was to this entry. I just have had that on my chest for a few days and had to get it out I guess.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?